Fare Assist Program
Fare Assist offers Hamilton residents who are recipients of Ontario Works, the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or have household incomes below the Low Income Measure, a 30% discount on current single-ride PRESTO fares for themselves and their family.
If you’re a Hamilton resident earning an income at or below the Low Income Measure (LIM) threshold by family size, you and your household may be eligible for Fare Assist. This program provides a 30% discount on current single-ride PRESTO fares for one year following application approval.
The Fare Assist pilot program will run from January 1, 2024 to June 30, 2026 (30 months). During the pilot, two other programs will be suspended: the Affordable Transit Pass for Ontario Works recipients and the Temporary Transit Fare Special Program for persons who use a personal mobility device (PMD), such as a wheelchair, scooter, walker, and CNIB cardholders.
We estimate approximately 88,000 Hamiltonians will benefit from the program.
KEY FEATURES OF THE FARE ASSIST PROGRAM
- Hamiltonians who live at or below the Stats Canada Low-Income Measure (LIM) can apply. The LIM by family size can be found below.
- 30% discount on current single-ride PRESTO fares for one year following application approval. HSR fare pricing can be found at Hamilton.ca/Fares. Note: The discount does not apply to monthly or annual passes.
- The discount applies to both conventional and accessible transit. This means it also applies to trips taken on DARTS vehicles.
- Applicants can re-apply each year.
- Funds can be loaded to a PRESTO card as-needed, and riders will not be charged an additional fare after 11 paid PRESTO trips in the same week (Monday 12:01 AM to Sunday 11:59 PM).
- The discount applies to all eligible members of the household, including a spouse and children ages 13-17. Children 12-and-under ride free with PRESTO.